Thursday 27 October 2011

A Creative Week

For the past few months I haven't felt like doing much of anything. Now that I'm feeling better I have not only renewed my love of knitting but I seem to have found a real creative bug. I was also introduced to Pinterest recently and you could honestly lose HOURS on there. SO many ideas, SO little time! And everything looks so pretty. I want to pin them all. If you have no idea what I'm talking about check it out here http://pinterest.com/  but I will warn you - it is addictive!

Okay - back to my creative bug. I not only have been knitting, I have also been cooking (baking really) and trying out some of the craft ideas I've seen. I thought I might share some of the things I've been doing.












This is the wee green cardigan I began knitting in hospital. It is for my granddaughter Isla who is almost 18 months old. It was really easy to knit (important when you have no powers of concentration) and turned out better than I expected. I'm not sure about the colour though. It looked much prettier on the ball than it does knitted. I also had trouble finding suitable buttons. I don't really like these plastic ones. They're not the easiest to do up and undo. There isn't a great choice out there though.








This little cardigan I found in my knitting box, completely knitted but still to be sewn together. I had started it for Isla's older sister Emily, maybe 2 years back and had never finished it. When I attempted to sew it up (my least favourite part of knitting) I realised why I hadn't completed it. The sleeves didn't fit in properly!. So I had to make some adjustments (rip them down a bit and reknit the top part). Even then, they still don't look quite right. They look very narrow at the top and the length of them doesn't look in proportion to the body. Oh well! It won't fit Emily now so Isla will inherit it. I'll find out once I try it on her.







Okay - please don't laugh at my pathetic attempts at creative photography! Its not easy when all you have is a wee Samsung point and shoot camera :) Just trying to make it interesting!

I decided that I would have to knit something for Emily since Isla was getting two cardigans. Don't want to cause any sibling rivalry. This was knitted with some cheap Aran wool I had in my stash and it turned out better than I expected. It is a pretty colour, especially for a 5 year old who loves all things pink. She has recently started gymnastics and I thought it would be good for slipping on over her leotard. You can't really tell from the photo but it is a little cropped cardigan with short sleeves. Again I had trouble finding the right button for it. I have put on a little white button with a smiley face on it (which again you can't tell from the photo - who is that photographer?) but I think it needs something pink so I will probably change it.


Hopefully you've enjoyed seeing the finished creations. There is something immensely satisfying from making things with your own hands and it seems that so many women out there are discovering that for themselves. I watched "Kirsty's Homemade Britain" on Channel 4 last night and it seems she is tapping into the same movement. I think a lot of it has to do with the recession and the fact that we are having to look at ways to save money. 

There is a mass of stuff out there, on the internet especially, to encourage you, inspire you, supply and sell to you. I recently found https://www.ravelry.com which is a great resource for knitters. It has loads of free stuff, especially patterns you can download. I didn't know you could do such a thing! I thought you had to go to your local wool shop or John Lewis and trawl through their pattern books. There are some really up to date patterns out there and some beautiful inspiring yarns and wools.

There are also some great tutorial videos on http://www.youtube.com/. I recently used them to learn how to knit socks (the pattern didn't explain well how to turn the heel). By the way, knitting socks could be my next obsession. What is funny is that my great granny used to knit socks for everyone and it was a bit of a joke in the family that you would get two entirely different coloured striped socks. I am now turning in to her! My mother thinks me knitting socks is really funny for some reason.

Another project for me in the future is to learn to crochet so I will be using the video tutorials out there. Problem is that I will have to live to a 100 like my great granny did to ever complete all the projects I have in mind.

I was reading the letter to the Colossians last night before going to bed and was excited to read this verse "that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery which is Christ."

You have to read the English Standard Version to have it translated using the words "knit together" but I loved this. Other versions translate it as "united" but I love the idea of being "knit together in love" and being a knitter this phrase just brings the meaning of the verse alive to me. 

To me this is the purpose of me writing this blog - that we might be "knit together in love" through a shared interest and passion whether that be in knitting, crafts, reading, cooking or most importantly God.

I am now going to try and add this verse to the header at the top of my page but as I am technologically illiterate I may need help. If there is anyone out there who knows how to do this please tell me!

2 comments:

  1. I love the cardigans. Have you tried Hobby Craft for buttons, I remember seeing a range upstairs. I have no idea how to knit but have a basic knowledge of crochet, I'm sure you'll enjoy it but will find it a bit strange at first as you are used to knitting.

    LOVED the pictures in the previous post. I can't believe they were taken on a phone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deborah. I did try Hobbycraft. In fact that's where those buttons came from but I couldn't find exactly what I wanted. I'm sure there's a great range somewhere online but I couldn't be bothered trawling through them all.
    Now I know where to come when I get round to learning to crochet :) I'm not sure where you find the time to do anything. I'm sure your 3 beautiful girls keep you very busy!!

    ReplyDelete